Fire Ants have become a painful addition to the Texas landscape. Metro Guard offers a year long program to control Fire Ants in your yard. Our service comes with a one year warranty which means that there is no charge if we have to return to treat new mounds.
Our products are not dangerous for use on yards with pets or small children and will not damage the lawn in any way. After just a few weeks, you can walk barefoot through your yard again with no worries of ant bites. Most of our Fire Ant customers tell us they love knowing the Fire Ants are gone. We can tell… they sign up for the service each year.
Fire Ant Service starts at $189.00 for most homes.
Fire Ant Basics
- A single queen colony will contain 80,000 to 250,000 workers and 30 to 100 mounds per acre.
- Fire Ant queens can produce approximately 1,500 eggs per day.
- Each mature colony has six to eight swarms (mating process) each year. This starts new colonies.
- Fire Ants are attracted to electricalboxes and commonly nest in air conditioners.
- Fire Ants gnaw on electrical wiring and clothing.
- Fire Ants will eat almost anything including insects, meats, plants, nuts, cereals, fruit juices, honey dew and butter. Fire Ants will forage indoors for food.
- Fire Ants typically nest in the ground but will nest in structures
- Fire Ant stings can cause an allergic reaction similar to a bee sting.
Fire Ant Treatment – Common Questions
Q. How does your product work?
A. We broadcast a fine particle product that dissolves in moisture. This product bonds with organic matter under your lawn. Ants are eliminated when they travel over the treated areas.
Q. Can I water my lawn normally and not weaken the treatment?
A. Yes. We ask that you water your lawn within 48 hours after treatment to help the product dissolve from its granular form. Water your lawn normally after that.
Q. What about children and pets using the lawn?
A. The product works down under the grass. It bonds tightly with organic matter helping to resist run off and also making it safer to use where children and pets play. We do recommend keeping children and pets off the treated areas for 1-2 hours after you first water.
Q. Do I need to be home on the date of service?
A. No. Just make sure pets are put up and gates are unlocked.
Q. How long does it take for the treatment to take effect?
A. In most cases, your Fire ant problem will begone in less than 4-6 weeks.
Q. If I continue to find Fire Ants, what do I need to do?
A. Give the program 4-6 weeks to work. After that, if you find a mound, disturb it to see if it has active ants. Most mounds will be “dead.” If the mound is active, contact our service department. We will come back and eliminate the problem at no charge—guaranteed.
Q. Can the treatment damage my lawn?
A. No. The treatment is not harm to lawns in any way. This product has been tested on all types of grasses and landscapes.
Q. Does eliminating Fire Ants on the outside prevent problems inside my home?